There are several categories of the US immigrant visas one which includes the Immediate Relative Visas (IR Visas)
This article will define what the IR2 visa is, state its requirements, explain its application process and give information on other relevant details.
WHAT IS THE IR2 VISA?
The IR2 Visa is a US immediate relative visa for a US citizen’s unmarried children who are under 21 years of age. If the child is under the child status protection act and is treated as if he or she were below 21 years old, it can also be given.
It is advantageous for a child to get an IR-2 visa because he or she can live in the US, attend school and continue studies. Ultimately, the child has a green card and can work in the US without any need for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD).
As compared to the family preference visas, the Immediate Relative visas are generally more beneficial because they have no annual cap. So if the applicants meet the requirements for the visa, the can obtain the IR2 visa.
WHO CAN APPLY FOR THE IR2 VISA?
The criteria for this category are not as extensive as other types of visas. The US citizen’s child must be:
- Under 21 years old.
- Living in a foreign country.
- Has been living with US citizen parents who adopted them for at least 2 years.
Besides the criteria for the child who will be applying for the IR-2 visa, the US citizen must fulfill these requirements:
- Consent to adopting a child who is unmarried and under the age of 21 years from a foreign country.
- Be a US citizen.
- Have adopted a child from a foreign country and lived with them for two years.
HOW TO APPLY FOR IR2 VISA?
Like most family-based visas, the application for the IR2 visa has two main parts:
- The US citizen has to petition for the child at the US citizenship and immigration services(USCIS).
- When the petition is approved, the child must apply to a US embassy or consulate in their home country. By implication, the procedure must start within the US, with the US citizen petitioning to the authorities.
FILING THE PETITION
Filing form I-130, Petition for alien relatives, does the petition. All the necessary sections must be filled by the US citizen and submitted to USCIS. In order to process the petition, there is a fee that must be paid by the US citizen.
The petition then goes through the department of homeland security and is processed within a few months. When the processing is complete, the US citizen is notified about the status. In case of a denial, the USCIS will let you their reasons. If it is approved, it will then go to the National Visa Center (NVC). The NVC will then become your main contact for the IR-2 visa.
A package containing information and instructions will be sent o the applicant in the foreign country by the NVC. This package will include the case and invoice ID numbers. This number helps to start the application from the US embassy or consulate in the foreign country.
APPLYING FOR IR2 THE VISA
Given that the immediate relative visas do not have an annual cap on the number issued yearly, applicants do not have to wait for their priority dates to become current. Immediately after the USCIS approves the petition, the applicant in the foreign country can begin their application at a US embassy or consulate. Since the child is a minor, they may have some help with their application. The US citizen does not have many duties in this part of the application.
FILE FORM DS-260
This is the immigrant visa electronic application form, which all applicants for immigrant visas must submit. To access this application, the NVC case number that links it to your case and the approved petition can be used. All the necessary sections must be filled by the IR2 visa applicant r someone helping them. The form will have questions about the applicant’s information, background, and purpose of immigrating to the US. When form DS-260 is submitted, you will get a confirmation page and number, which must be attached to your supporting documents.
COMPLETE MEDICAL EXAMINATIONS AND VACCINATIONS
US citizens and immigrants must fulfill certain medical and vaccination requirements. The package sent to the applicant by the NVC after the approval of the petition contains specifically what medical procedures to complete and what vaccines to get. The documents and the check-ups can only be done and signed by a licensed doctor. These documents shall be attached to your supporting file which you will send to the NVC.
COMPILE DOCUMENTS FILE
Aside from the application form, various supporting documents must be attached to give the NVC a better understanding as to why you should be allowed to immigrate into the US with an IR2 visa.
IR2 Visa Documents: The following documents are required to be in the IR2 visa file:
- A signed form I-864, affidavit of support from the US petitioner(applicant’s parent)
- Medical examination and vaccination documents.
- A passport which is valid for more than six months after your intended entry to the US.
- Court and criminal records
- Form DS-260 confirmation page.
- If you previously served in the military be sure to bring your military records.
Every US immigrant applicant must attend an interview at the US embassy or consulate in the country from which they are going to be applying from. After making sure that all the required documents have been submitted, the NVC will then schedule an interview.
A caretaker or guardian may accompany the applicant since he/she is a child in this case. The embassy officials will then determine whether or not they should get an IR2 visa after asking them questions about themselves and who they are.
RECEIVE NVC PACKET AND TRAVEL TO THE US
The child can freely travel to the US if the IR2 visa is approved. The visa will be stamped on their valid passport and they shall be given a package by the embassy. Under no circumstance should this package be opened. They must bring it along when they make their entry into the US. Only the US immigrant official at their chosen port of entry is allowed to open it and will then decide whether to let them into the country or not.
DO I GET ACCESS TO AMERICAN HEALTHCARE WITH AN IR2 VISA?
As an IR-2 Visa holder in the United States, you will have access to healthcare. However, the cost of obtaining medical care in the US is one of the most expensive in the world.
It will cost you $2500 to treat a broken arm or leg while staying at a US hospital may cost over $10,000 0n average. It is advisable to pick a health insurance plan that fits you best, which overall you can also afford and also covers your needs.
WHERE CAN I GET HEALTH INSURANCE FOR IR2 Visa?
Private companies such as VisitorsCoverage, offer affordable health insurance coverage plans for lawful permanent residents in the US.
WHY DO WE ADVICE TO PURCHASE A HEALTH INSURANCE PLAN THROUGH VISITORSCOVERAGE?
- They have over 2 million satisfied clients, are highly admired for their outstanding customer service, attention to all your problems and have a hassle-free online experience.
- You will get the lowest rates and the important information on choosing a plan that suits you best.
- Their dedicated customer service representatives will be at your disposal every day of the week including Sundays.
- They are a well-established company in the health insurance industry with over 10 years of experience.
- They are specialists when it comes to offering health insurance plans to foreigners in the US.
OTHER TYPES OF IMMEDIATE RELATIVE VISAS
This visa category favors the family or immediate relatives of citizens of the US who live in foreign countries and are as follows:
- IR1 visa for the spouse of a US citizen
- IR2 visa for unmarried children of a US citizen who are below 21
- IR3 visas for children adopted abroad by US citizens
- IR4 visas for children to be adopted within the US by a US citizen
- IR5 visas for parents of a US citizen who is of legal age of at least 21 years old.
From the above, immediate relatives are only limited to spouses, parents, and children. Uncles, aunts, siblings or grandparents do not fall into the category of immediate relatives and therefore cannot obtain these visas.
WHAT ARE THE FEES TO PAY FOR THE IR2 VISA?
Throughout the application process for the IR2 visa, there are various fees that the petitioner and the applicant must pay. The main categories of this fee are as follows:
- Form I-130 filing fee (535 USD)
- Processing fee for the Form DS-260
- Medical examination fees
- Fees to get and translate supporting documents
- USCIS immigrant fee ($220) which you must pay after you have obtained your visa and before you traveling to the US. USCIS is not going to issue you a green card unless until after you pay this fee.
HOW LONG IS THE IR2 VISA PROCESSING TIME?
The processing time for the IR2 immigrant Visa can last from 3-12 months, but it all depends on the individual circumstances. Since this visa has no annual cap, the processing time is less than the family preference visas.
DO I BECOME A US CITIZEN WHEN I GET THE IR2 VISA?
Immediately children enter the US with an IR-2 visa, they have the opportunity to become US citizens. If the child s below 18 years old, they will immediately get a US citizenship upon their entry into the US and state that they are going to be living in with their parents while in the US.
Those children who are over the age of18 will get their IR2 green card and become lawful permanent residents and apply for US citizenship when they become eligible.