This Post is a is a thorough guide to the IR5 visa which is granted to parents of US citizens.
Several citizens of the US wish to bring their parents into the US and reunite with them from a foreign country they used to live in. Obtaining the US visa for parents is the way to go about this.
WHAT IS THE IR5 VISA?
This is the US visa that is given to the parents of US citizens who are the age of 21 years and above. The IR5 visa grants them the opportunity to stay connected with their children as one family by living and working in the US. As IR5 visa holders, the parents can legally work in the US without any need for an Employment Authorization Document(EAD).
Since the IR5 visa is an immediate relative visa, It has no annual limit. Therefore any applicant who meets the requirement and has an approved application can obtain the IR5 visa without necessarily having to wait for priority dates before they can be issued one.
[Read Also]: How To Write A Letter Of Invitation For US Visa For Parents And Friends To The US
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR THE IR5 VISA
There are some criteria which are to be fulfilled by both the US citizen and their parent to be eligible for the IR5 visa.
- be at least 21 years old
- have the financial stability to support their parent until they can find a job
- live in the US with a valid US address
- the parent must be from a foreign country
- the US citizen and their parent must have a valid birth certificate to prove their relationship
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE IR5 VISA?
This process involves both parties. This means both US citizen and their parents who are in a foreign country have to submit certain documents and forms. The application process entails two parts:
- The US citizen files a petition for their parents to the United States citizenship and immigration services (USCIS)
- Once the petition is approved, the parents must apply to a US embassy or consulate in their home country.
If the child who is a US citizen applies for the petition and the petition has not yet been approved, the parent who is in the foreign country cannot go ahead and apply for the Parent Visa
FILING THE PETITION FOR THE PARENT
The applicants or US citizens must file form I-130, petition for alien relatives to USCIS. For the petition to be complete, it must be filled and any other documents attached. The US citizen must also pay a filing fee
This petition takes a few months to process and it is done by the department of homeland security. When the processing is complete, the USCIS will notify the US citizen whether the petition is approved or not. USCIS will let you know their reasons in case of denial and you can then reapply. If the petition is approved by the USCIS, it is then forwarded to the National Visa Center (NVC). The NVC takes over the complete application procedure and you will only contact them if you have any inquiries.
After the petition has been reviewed, the NVC sends a sealed package to either the parent of the US Citizen or the applicant of the petition who is the US citizen with instructions and information. This package will contain the applicant’s case number from the USCIS and invoice ID number. For each applicant, these numbers are different. They are used to identify the applicants when its time to apply for the IR5 visa.
APPLYING FOR THE IR5 VISA
After the petition has been approved, the parent of the US citizen can start the application process of the IR5 visa since this type of visa has no annual cap. The parent of the US citizen should apply for us parent visa at the US embassy or consulate in their country of origin. The US citizen doesn’t have many duties at this stage. The decisions on whether or not the parent of the US citizen will be granted the IR5 visa depends solely on the US consular officials who have to review the case at the US embassy.
FILE FORM DS-260
The applicant filing the form DS-260 must fill out all the sections with accurate and honest information that is related to their background and other important required details. The parent of the US citizen will put in their case number and be redirected to the appropriate sections. They will get a confirmation page and a confirmation number when the complete the form, which they will attach to their supporting documents when going to the embassy.
COMPLETE MEDICAL EXAMINATION AND VACCINATION
To live in the US, there are certain requirements concerning a person’s medical history and vaccines they must receive. The applicant of the IR5 Visa will have instructions about what tests they must undergo and vaccines that must be taken in the NVC package. A licensed doctor must conduct the test and sign the documents that prove that these requirements have been fulfilled. The documents will then be attached to the other important documents and together they are sent to the NVC.
COMPILE THE US VISA FOR PARENTS SUPPORTING FILE
To prove that the parents have met the requirements and are eligible to travel to the US with an IR5 visa, and also to strengthen the application, the parent must submit supporting documents to the NVC.
Other than the standard documents which are required to obtain a US visa, the US parent visa file must also have in addition the following documents.
- your valid passport for more than 6 months after your planned entry into the US
- A SIGNED FORM i-864, affidavit of support from the US petitioner (the child of the aplicant0
- FORM ds-260 confirmation page
- medical examination and vaccination documents
- the valid birth certificate that proves the relationship between the US citizen and the applicant.
- Two passport photographs per individual, that is both the US citizen filing for parents and the parents and also, the photos must be in accordance with the US visa photograph requirements
- Court and criminal records and police certificate
- If the parent of the US citizen had served in the military in his country, he’d have to come along with all their military records.
ATTEND THE VISA INTERVIEW
When the documents are sent, the NVC schedules an interview at the US embassy for the applicant in their home country. The IR5 visa interview is conducted by a US embassy official. Questions concerning the applicant’s background and their reasons for wanting to move to the US are asked. It is advisable to be as honest as possible and to answer all these questions accurately.
NVC GIVES YOU A PACKET WHICH YOU TRAVEL TO THE US WITH.
After the interview, the embassy will notify the applicant if their visa has been granted. The embassy will give the applicant a package from the NVC if their IR visa is approved. They must bring this packet along with them when they travel to the US for the first time. Under no circumstance should this packet be opened. The only ones who are allowed the package are the US immigration officials at the port of entry into the US. this helps them decide whether to let you into the country or not.
IR5 VISA FEES
There are certain fees that both the US Citizen and the parent or parents must pay throughout the application process for the IR5Visa. Main categories of the fees that must be paid are as follows:
- Form I-130 filing fee
- Form DS-260 processing fee
- Medical examination and vaccination fee
- USCIS immigrant fee that must be paid after receiving your visa and before traveling to the US. You will not be issued a Green Card by the USCIS if you do not pay this fee.
- Fees to get and translate supporting documents
HOW LONG IS THE IR5 VISA PROCESSING TIME?
For the IR5 Visa to be issued to the parent of the US citizen, it may take between 6 months to a year. The IR5 Visa processing time depends solely on the time it takes to process the Form I-130 and other required documents.
DOES THE IR5 VISA HOLDER GET ACCESS TO AMERICAN HEALTHCARE SYSTEM?
As an IR5 visa holder, you will get access to American health care. But getting treated medically in a US hospital can be quite expensive and is probably one of the most expensive in the world.
Getting a broken leg or arm treated may cost you about $2500 in any other hospital in different countries while getting this same treatment in a US hospital will cost you about $10,000 on an average. So picking a good health insurance plan which suits you best, also affordable and covers all your needs is advisable.
WHERE CAN I GET HEALTH INSURANCE?
There are so many private insurance companies on of which is VisitorsCoverage. They provide affordable health insurance plans for Lawful Permanent Residents of the United States.
WHY DO WE RECOMMEND VISITORSCOVERAGE?
- One reason we recommend Visitor’s coverage is that they have helped over 2 million clients get their health insurance and all these clients were satisfied. They pay close attention to what their clients need in a hassle-free online experience.
- They have some of the most affordable options and they provide you with detailed and accurate information on what plan would suit you best.
- They have a customer support service that will attend to all questions at any time of any day.
- The Company has been running for over 10 years. Through all this time, it has been well established and has grown a lot of trust with its clients and getting more clients.
- When it comes to providing foreigners with different health insurance plans, they are the best in the US. That is what they specialize in.
IR5 Visa Interview Questions For Parents
OTHER TYPES OF IMMEDIATE RELATIVE VISAS
Other than the IR5 visa, other types of IR visas also exist such as: